Our pledge to the planet
Shopping needn’t cost the Earth.
We believe that it is possible to make money and help save the planet. We think there is a better way to sell products that are no longer wanted or needed. We want to create a circular economy for retail, where products are reused and recycled instead of being thrown away.
Our world is struggling with a $2.3 trillion pile of excess retail inventory, returns, and overstocks. About one third ends up in landfill. This is wasteful and damaging for our planet. We find out what our global buyers are looking for and then scour clearance markets for the best product deals so that we can sell on and prolong the lifecycle of goods.
From the start of our company, we adopted a policy of going beyond carbon neutrality by doubling down on all our emissions. So, for every metric tonne of CO2 of emissions, we remove two metric tonnes by planting trees and buying Voluntary Emission Reduction certificates.
Our environmental goals
We have adopted 25 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) criteria with 80+ key performance indicators. Underpinning our work are the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
We have selected four where we think that we will have the most impact:
ESG Goal 1 – Life on land
Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
ESG Goal 2 – Responsible Consumption and production
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
ESG Goal 3 – Climate Action
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
ESG Goal 4 – Decent work and Economic Growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Our Sustainability Partner
We are planting trees to offset our emissions. We are committed to making a difference for the planet. We believe that by working together, we can create a more sustainable future. Join us in our mission to shop sustainably.Onetreeplanted
Popular questions - Sustainability
- We acquire unsold stock, much of which would have gone to landfill. This is not just damaging to the brand of the retail enterprise but is also damaging the planet by wasting resources. Landfills can also become super-emitters of carbon, which leads to global warming. Planet-conscious consumers can also buy goods at big discounts in the secondary market.
- We are seeking to be the first private sector company to partner with Terraformation, which provides global native forest restoration. We are investing in a seed bank to cultivate productive seeds at our strategic locations. stocs was also the only start-up to engage in the International Financial Regulations Standards Consultation to help establish sustainability standards.
- We are working with One Tree Planted, a tree-planting non-profit enterprise from the US. We also engaged with Glasgow Chamber of Commerce at COP26, the Netherland Foreign Investment Agency, Terraformation and the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- From the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, we selected four where we will have significant impact: Responsible consumption and production; Decent work and economic growth; climate action; life on land.
- We offset 33 metric tonnes CO2e in 2021.
- stocs has adopted 25 ESG criteria with 80+ key performance indicators. We use the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals as a foundation with four being selected as ones where we can drive significant and positive direct impact: Responsible consumption and production; Decent work and economic growth; climate action; life on land. We have stocs Sustainability department, working full time on innovating and supporting these objectives, with the Leadership team.
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) criteria are a set of standards for a company’s operations that allow socially conscious consumers and investors to screen a business. The United Nations has adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals to provide a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future.
- Greenwashing, sometimes called ‘Green Sheen’, is when a company uses marketing and PR to try and deceive the public into thinking that an organisation’s products, aims and policies are environmentally friendly. At stocs, we started with sustainability at the core of our policies and frameworks, which makes it integral to our culture and business practices.
- We are working with One Tree Planted, a tree-planting non-profit enterprise from the US. We planted 165 trees in 2022 to double-down 2021 corporate carbon emissions.