We acquire unsold stock, much of which would have gone to landfill. This is not just damaging to the brand of the retail enterprise but is also damaging the planet by wasting resources. Landfills can also become super-emitters of carbon, which leads to global warming. Planet-conscious consumers can also buy goods at big discounts in the secondary market.
- We are seeking to be the first private sector company to partner with Terraformation, which provides global native forest restoration. We are investing in a seed bank to cultivate productive seeds at our strategic locations. stocs was also the only start-up to engage in the International Financial Regulations Standards Consultation to help establish sustainability standards.
- We are working with One Tree Planted, a tree-planting non-profit enterprise from the US. We also engaged with Glasgow Chamber of Commerce at COP26, the Netherland Foreign Investment Agency, Terraformation and the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- From the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, we selected four where we will have significant impact: Responsible consumption and production; Decent work and economic growth; climate action; life on land.
- We offset 33 metric tonnes CO2e in 2021.
- stocs has adopted 25 ESG criteria with 80+ key performance indicators. We use the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals as a foundation with four being selected as ones where we can drive significant and positive direct impact: Responsible consumption and production; Decent work and economic growth; climate action; life on land. We have stocs Sustainability department, working full time on innovating and supporting these objectives, with the Leadership team.
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) criteria are a set of standards for a company’s operations that allow socially conscious consumers and investors to screen a business. The United Nations has adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals to provide a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future.
- Greenwashing, sometimes called ‘Green Sheen’, is when a company uses marketing and PR to try and deceive the public into thinking that an organisation’s products, aims and policies are environmentally friendly. At stocs, we started with sustainability at the core of our policies and frameworks, which makes it integral to our culture and business practices.
- We are working with One Tree Planted, a tree-planting non-profit enterprise from the US. We planted 165 trees in 2022 to double-down 2021 corporate carbon emissions.
- We have a policy of going beyond carbon neutrality by doubling down on our emissions. So, for every metric tonne CO2e of emissions, we put in place initiatives to remove two metric tonnes. We track all goods in, the utilities of any goods stored and all goods out.
- We are still in our infancy but have already launched in the US and Europe after securing 1.2 million retail products for resale. This has reduced the volume of landfill by 380 cubic metres.